b-hebrew - Re: Methods in biblical scholarship

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Numberup AT worldnet.att.net
  • To: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Methods in biblical scholarship
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 12:39:20 -0800

It should be noted that the passage in Jude is similar to only a verse (9) in
the
first chapter of 1 Enoch, though that "book," as reconstructed, has 108
chapters.

Aramaic fragments of 1 Enoch have been found at Qumran, but the "book" is
complete
only in Ethiopic (Ge'ez). Charlesworth (The Old Testament Pseudepiprapha,
volume 1)
says that "Enoch is clearly composite, representing numerous periods and
writers....However, it is clear that the work originated in Judea and was in
use at
Qumran before the beginning of the Christian period." (pp. 7, 8)

The book was not a part of any known canon of the Hebrew or Jewish Bible,
though it
appears to have been in use by sectarians or adherents of alternative
"Judaisms."

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org