b-hebrew - RE: Re[2]: Methods in biblical scholarship

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Re[2]: Methods in biblical scholarship
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 11:28:39 -0500

At 10:55 AM 12/27/1999 +0100, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:
>> Niels I think you are fudge=ing here. Jubelees is the only work where
>> there
>> is apossibility of a claim to 'canon' status as it is the only
>> non-Biblical
>> work quoted in sectarian works. But this is not a proof. The reason being
>> that there are commentaries on Biblical works from the Torah, prophets and
>> Psalms, but NONE on Jubelees. This means that at best a claim of 'special'
>> status can be made for Jubilees, below that of the Bible. (BTW certainly
>> in
>> later Jewish tradition it is clear that non-canon works are considered in
>> special status. I would consider the mishnah as an example.)
> [Niels Peter Lemche]
> Nice argument. In that case, do we have pesherim for any part of the
>ketuvim except the Psalms? So if not, what was the status of these parts

I think 4Q184 would be an example of exposition on Proverbs. I recall
something about Job, but I would have to look for it.

>around 100 BCE? And again, does it say that it is canonical literature, or
>are we witnessing the initial (or 2nd or 3rd) steps in the direction of a
>canonization? And did the HB ever reach the sate of canonization that was
>valid for Christian communities?

I think the concept of 'canon' is one that is more Christian oriented.
Judiasm seems to have a different view of 'sacred liturature' then does
Christianity. For example Ben Sirach can be quoted and interpreted in the
talmud at the same time it is being banned.

moshe shulman mshulman AT NOSPAMix.netcom.com 718-436-7705
CHASSIDUS.NET - Yoshav Rosh http://www.chassidus.net
Outreach Judaism http://www.outreachjudaism.org/
ICQ# 52009254