b-hebrew - RE: Re[2]: Methods in biblical scholarship

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: 'Moshe Shulman' <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Re[2]: Methods in biblical scholarship
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 10:55:58 +0100

> Niels I think you are fudge=ing here. Jubelees is the only work where
> there
> is apossibility of a claim to 'canon' status as it is the only
> non-Biblical
> work quoted in sectarian works. But this is not a proof. The reason being
> that there are commentaries on Biblical works from the Torah, prophets and
> Psalms, but NONE on Jubelees. This means that at best a claim of 'special'
> status can be made for Jubilees, below that of the Bible. (BTW certainly
> in
> later Jewish tradition it is clear that non-canon works are considered in
> special status. I would consider the mishnah as an example.)
[Niels Peter Lemche]
Nice argument. In that case, do we have pesherim for any part of the
ketuvim except the Psalms? So if not, what was the status of these parts
around 100 BCE? And again, does it say that it is canonical literature, or
are we witnessing the initial (or 2nd or 3rd) steps in the direction of a
canonization? And did the HB ever reach the sate of canonization that was
valid for Christian communities?

NPL