b-hebrew - Re: Re[2]: Methods in biblical scholarship

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: Methods in biblical scholarship
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 05:12:53 +0100

At 21.25 26/12/99 -0500, Moshe Shulman wrote:
>At 12:03 AM 12/27/1999 +0100, Ian Hutchesson wrote:
>>When have I presupposed a DH, Peter??
>>
>>Did Isaiah who was an adult during the time of Ahaz also write about Cyrus??

If we assume Isaiah was responsible for the visions under Ahaz and earlier,
it would mean, for him to write his Cyrus prophecies, that he was around
some two hundred years -- unless one would like to argue that Isaiah made
the Cyrus prophecies before the emergence of the Persians as a known force
in Iran.

>>Was the book of Daniel which partly shows a date of writing around 250 BCE
>>and partly around 165 BCE written by the same person??

This is a rather long item to go through, so I'll summarize. It is based on
a precise dating of the latter part of Daniel to the reign of Antiochus IV,
which is a period about 70 years after the central event of Dan2:43 -- a
Marriage between Ptolemy (Berenice) and Seleucid (Ant. II), alluded to
later in Dan11:6 --, which is the only historically discernable reference
in that vision.

>>Did David write all 150 psalms, considering at least one can definitively
>>be placed at the time of exile or later (By the waters of Babylon...)??

I'll withdraw this one. Numerous psalms describe themselves as not by
David, though it doesn't change my argument about multiple authorship.

>>Did Moses chronicle his own death in Deuteronomy??

Do I need to give the reasoning here? "Dead men tell no tales."

>>As NPL pointed out Samuel died in 1Sam25, so did he also report his own
>>death??

The only assumption here is that if a book is called Samuel then the
callers assumed that it was the work of Samuel, yet Samuel dies before the
end of the first part. DMTNT again. Then again, if Samuel's name is only on
the work because he is in the book then we simply have a pseudonymous work.

>Just for arguments sake, you assume that these cannot be possible. Would
>you mind posting what your assumptions are that lead you to such a
>conclusion. I think some may disagree with your assumptions.

I have little doubt that you're right here, Moshe!

Cheers,

Ian