b-hebrew - Re[2]: New Subscriber

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Bailey <jonathan.bailey AT gmx.de>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew list <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: New Subscriber
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 21:45:47 +0100

Michael, I doubt there are too many people here that are interested in
proving you right
or wrong. I for one am not here to grind theological axes.

You are welcome to your exegesis. In my short time on the list, however, I
have
noticed that the list seems to involve itself with questions of linguistics,
historical
criticism, or textual criticism, and when theological views are brought up
(such as the
typology thread), they usually involve exploration of issues of method and
types of
interpretation without necessarily seeking to apply methods of interpretation
support any particular exegetical conclusion. Though the list is (much to my
enjoyment) quite casual and open to a variety of levels and areas of
discussion, you
would probably be met with more enthusiastic responses if you had written
your post
to a list which devotes itself more fully to theological and exegetical
matters.

The reason Mr. Wagers did not devote more time to your post or try to support
or
refute it is quite probably because he did not care one way or another about
your
gap-theory exegesis. Most of the people on here are using the list to keep in
touch
with other competent professionals to the event of furthering their personal
research,
aquiring tools of their trade, etc. They are not particularly trying to
convert anyone to a
particular exegesis.

But I haven't been on the list for terribly long, and in my short time on the
list I have
noticed that almost anything goes, so enjoy and write what you will. But
don't get
discouraged by responses like Mr. Wagers.

Jonathan Bailey
MA Kandidat
Hochschule für Jüdische Studien
Heidelberg