b-hebrew - Re: New Subscriber

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Numberup AT worldnet.att.net
  • To: somi <somie AT home.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: New Subscriber
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 08:34:27 -0800

Since the verb in question, hayetah, is the Qal perfective of hayah, and
hayah means
both "to be" and "to become," then both "was" and "became" are, grammatically
speaking, acceptable translations at Genesis 1:2, as a process of development
is
incipient.

As Everett Fox notes in "The Five Books of Moses," what is being described
here is not
creatio ex nihilo, but "God's bringing order out of chaos," as typified by
tohu
va-bohu (Fox's "wild and waste," or "unformed and void," JPS), the "empty"
or not
fully realized condition of the earthly sphere as the home of life, at the
beginning.

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org