b-hebrew - Re: Textual Criticism

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Textual Criticism
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 20:14:03 -0400

Maybe the guy is dyslexic, or maybe he has textual doubts about the
pointing of the word "Masoretic", so let's give him the benefit of the
doubt on that one and see what he is trying to say...

Cutting through the dead wood, I see that he is trying to argue that
the "original Hebrew" is best preserved in an Old Latin text preserved
by the Waldensian church, and that Jewish commentators support that
view. Well, I would want to check whether the variants in such a text
were theologically motivated changes e.g. to make explicit the Virgin
Birth. (But then LXX could be considered to do that.) But there just
could be some original readings preserved.

Are there any experts on the list who can comment on the existence and
state of any such Old Latin text of the Hebrew scriptures? Or on what
doubt is cast on the MT by Jewish commentators?

Peter Kirk