b-hebrew - Re: Textual Criticism

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ruthy & Baruch" <alster AT comandcom.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Textual Criticism
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 23:02:18 +0200

Don wrote:

> > I am on another discussion group where the topic of Textual criticism
has
> > arisen. I was wondering if anyone would like to respond to the posts by
one
> > individual in particular. I will not pass along his name but his post
is
> > below.
>
> > Many of you seem to feel that the Mesoratic Text is almost the same as
the
> > ancient Hebrew. But, it is not. Also many seem to feel that the
Mesoratics

Dave wrote:
> I'd really like to know what the heck a "Mesoratic" is. If s/he can't
> even get the name right, I doubt the person is particularly qualified
> to comment on the state of the text.

I don't think this person's misspelling is reason enough to laugh him/her
away. These ideas, however, do seem outrageous. Which ancient Jews is
this person talking about? The Talmud discusses a few textual variants,
but most definitely refers to the same Biblical language we do. This
person would have to come up with a really good source (which I am
extremely doubtful exists) to prove what (s)he is trying to say.

This might have to do with the same cult Wondell wrote about in August
("Assyrian Hebrew?"), when he sent us the alphabet attachment. _THAT_
really didn't look serious ...

L'hitra'ot
Baruch Alster
Kochav Ya'akov, Israel