b-hebrew - Re: Textual Criticism

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Joseph Crea <Joseph.Crea AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Textual Criticism
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 19:45:19 -0500

Hello Jim!

At 08:31 PM 10/20/99 -0400, you wrote:
>At 08:14 PM 10/20/99 -0400, you wrote:
>

>>Are there any experts on the list who can comment on the existence and
>>state of any such Old Latin text of the Hebrew scriptures?
>
>Yes, its called the old Latin (Vetus Latina) and was used by Jerome before
>he did his own rendering.
>
>> Or on what
>>doubt is cast on the MT by Jewish commentators?
>
>None. To say that the "jewish commentators" cast doubt on the MT is to say
>the "KJV only" people cast doubt on it.

CREA
Make that SOME of the "KJV-ONLY" folks. I know that both the people at
the Trinitarian Bible Society (UK) and Dr. D.A. Waite, absolutely dote over
ben Chayyim's 2nd Rabbinic Bible as opposed to the perfidious and heretical
"ben Asher" text used in BHK^3 and BHS. I think I remember readin
something in one's of Ruckman's outpourings of effluvium that the Old Latin
preserved a superior text to the "so-called" Septuagint, but like the rest
of his "literary" output it turned out to be just more of his trademark
ranting and raving.

With Mettaa,

Joseph Crea
<Joseph.Crea AT worldnet.att.net>