b-hebrew - Re[4]: Perfectivity of wayyiqtols

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[4]: Perfectivity of wayyiqtols
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 21:07:17 -0400

Your first question is indeed a good one. Can the niphal of LXM mean
"enter battle"? Well, it is hard to be sure, but there are several
cases which can at least be plausibly interpreted in this way. For
example:

Exo 17:8 The battle was not over before verse 9!
Num 21:1 Taking captives was during the battle not after it.
Jos 10:5 The battle continues...
Jos 10:29-38 5 times, this is the start of the battle

etc etc. Of course these are dependent on my understanding of
wayyiqtol as normally sequential and perfective. But I think you need
to justify clearly an understanding of the wayyiqtols of Jos 10:29-30
as anything other than a sequence of events, which involves taking
"wayyillaxem" as "entered battle". So I don't think my translation can
really be called "ad hoc".

As for my point 2, if Uriah was one of those who fell, he died after
he fell. I agree that usually in such contexts NPL implies death, but
in 2 Samuel 1:4, 2:23 NPL and MWT are used in sequence for death. 1:4
is actually quite parallel with 11:17 but with some differences. There
may be a change of subject in 11:17, but if so the new subject is a
subset of the old one and so my interpretation is not invalidated, I
think.

Peter Kirk