b-hebrew - Re: WP

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: list b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • Subject: Re: WP
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 07:25:56 +0800

Dave Washburn wrote:

> I see the WP as a simple statement,
> e.g. "I stubbed my toe. It hurt." Obviously the hurt comes after the
> accident, but the verb forms don't tell us that. Also, it's clear that
> stubbing one's toe is a perfective event, but again the verb form
> doesn't tell us that. The meanings of the verbs involved tell us that,
> i.e. the semantics of the two clauses code this information, the
> syntax doesn't. With the WP, things like aspect, sequentiality (if
> there is such a word), tense etc. are coded by the semantics and
> pragmatics of the clauses and words, not by the syntax of the verb
> form.

Dave,

The browser side of my ISP is having problems, and I have not been able to
look at your
website. When you first used this term WP in the Gen 2:19 discussion, you
adequately
described the surface structure, so I know what you're talking about. But
you did not state
in that post what the letters "WP" stand for. Maybe that will help us
understand your
perception of this grammatical form.

Paul
Ibanag Translation Project