b-hebrew - Re: Gen 1:1-2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au>
  • To: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 1:1-2
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 13:24:42 +1100

Lee R. Martin wrote:

> Dear Jack and George,
> Allow me to address a couple of issues.
> 1- Words do not transmit all of their senses in individual contexts. ToHu
> may mean
> both "vanity" and "disorder," but these two senses are not brought to
> every use of
> the word.

Of course!

> 2- Rarely do any two languages have word-for-word equivalents, so we need
> only find a
> translation equivalent that fits each context. It is not necessary (nor
> possible) to
> find an English word that corresponds exactly to each Hebrew word.

Well said!

> 3- The hendiadys may be a fossilized term that means something different
> from the sum
> of its parts, e.g. a greenhouse is not green and neither is it a house.

I don't see how that can be the case here since we've been addressing ToHU as
it
accompanies BoHU.

> 4- Isaiah's use of ToHu may or may not be relevant to Gen. 1, but it must
> not be
> assumed that both writers intended the same sense. Their writings may be
> separated by
> centuries, and language changes.

Begging to differ slightly: Isa 34:11 uses ToHU with BoHU in a neat parallel,
just as we
do in Genesis. This construction makes one think that both authors had the
same idea in
mind. That's why I mentioned Isa 34:11 as probably shedding a but more light
on the
issue.
Very best as ever,
GEORGE ATHAS
Dept of Semitic Studies,
University of Sydney
- Email: gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au
Visit the Tel Dan Inscription Website at
http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~gathas/teldan.htm