b-hebrew - Re: Gen 1:1-2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: jvogt AT dawson.net
  • Cc: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 1:1-2
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 22:36:20 -0500

Dear Jack and George,
Allow me to address a couple of issues.
1- Words do not transmit all of their senses in individual contexts. ToHu
may mean
both "vanity" and "disorder," but these two senses are not brought to every
use of
the word.
2- Rarely do any two languages have word-for-word equivalents, so we need
only find a
translation equivalent that fits each context. It is not necessary (nor
possible) to
find an English word that corresponds exactly to each Hebrew word.
3- The hendiadys may be a fossilized term that means something different from
the sum
of its parts, e.g. a greenhouse is not green and neither is it a house.
4- Isaiah's use of ToHu may or may not be relevant to Gen. 1, but it must not
be
assumed that both writers intended the same sense. Their writings may be
separated by
centuries, and language changes.

Lee R. Martin