b-hebrew - Re: Gen 1:1-2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: list b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: George Athas <gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 1:1-2
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 10:32:13 +0800

George Athas wrote:
If REŠIYT was in construct, then we would not expect a finite verb to follow it. We would expect perhaps an infinitive of some sort. This is not what we have in the MT. We have a finite verb with a subject and two direct objects. As such, REŠIYT must be either a conjunction or circumstance. Since it is prefixed with a preposition (B), which has not subsumed a definite article, we must understand the first word of Genesis as simply meaning, "At first".
Lloyd Barre and I have been discussing this off-list, and there apparently is a possibility, albeit extremely rare, for a construct with no prepositional force to stand before a non-relative clause.  [W&O, 9.6e]  A case in point is Hosea 1:2.  In their footnote on page 156, W&O state, "This construction is sometimes associated with Gen. 1:1."

I have a couple of favors to request of you.  They make reference to Waltke's article in Bibliotheca Sacra 132 (1975) 216-28, which is concerning the this passage.  But I have no access to this journal here in the Philippines.  Could one of you with a page-scanner get a copy and send it to me as an attachment?  I certainly would appreciate it.  Also, do any of you know of other occurrences of this BH grammatical construction?

Thanks in advance,

Paul
Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines