b-hebrew - Re: Gen 1.1-2, hyh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au>
  • To: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 1.1-2, hyh
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 13:30:45 +1100

And Lee wrote:

> X-HYH is used for beginning states or situations when providing setting or
> background
> for a narrative, e.g. Gen. 3:1 .

Lee, I don't see my suggestions as contradictory to the observation you made
(and a darn
good one, too!). In the context, the reader is viewing the beginning of
creation, but it
is in the past. Thus, the earth, at first, was ToHU and BoHU. That was the
beginning state
of the earth, but from the reader's point of view, this is no longer the case
because God
did something to it.
Best,
GEORGE ATHAS
Dept of Semitic Studies,
University of Sydney
- Email: gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au
Visit the Tel Dan Inscription Website at
http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~gathas/teldan.htm