sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Request for comments - formating in spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Juuso Alasuutari <iuso AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Request for comments - formating in spells
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 22:24:27 +0300

Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
After my rather idealistic outburst earlier, I... well, frankly decided
I don't much care. Bash script is like the neglected love-child of BASIC
Pearl and TCL. It's going to be at least a little uncomfortable to read
no matter how much you try & pretty it up.

The one issue I do care about is the lined up && and \. I sort-of like
them lined up, but as Vlad has pointed out keeping them lined up is not
only a nuisance, it's spammy. Keeping them lined up means lots of
otherwise unchanged lines are logged as changed, which is already
annoying people. Having them lined up on the far right is no great
solution, as that dissociates continuation from command. This matters
most for spell files containing conditionals, where you cannot simply
add && to every line.

I vote to allow cleanups that un-align the &&s. We either have to put up
with cleanup spam now, or put up with alignment spam for the rest of the
grimoires' lifetimes.

I've been one of the defenders of lining up continuation chars. However, the things you've pointed out certainly make the opposite of that seem more logical. I'll go with your suggestion if we can have a vote and write it down, as long as cleanup commits are to be appropriately separated from the rest.

Juuso