sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Request for comments - formating in spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Request for comments - formating in spells
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:39:55 -0500

flux wrote:
Ethan Grammatikidis (eekee57 AT fastmail.fm) wrote [08.07.22 20:23]:
personal, but personal differences are everything here. You, Eric, are

Actually, that would be Seth, not Eric ;) (see below) However, I agree
on this, at least to a point. I think that there is a problem here, in
that people are battling over formatting, which is not good because that
means they are spending time on presentation instead of spending time on
actually getting things done. However, there is no one good way to solve
the problem, because everyone likes different formatting, which is why
we haven't had a standard on it so far IMHO. As I see it, the only
agreeable standard is one where the formatting is kept as is for any
files already present, but you are free to format new files as you
please (within boundaries that we agree on). This way everyone can use
the formatting they like on things they create, but we don't have one
format in the darkness to rule them all... Of course, I wouldn't be
opposed to section/spell maintainers requiring a certain formatting
either.

Having voiced my opinion on tab/spacing preferences. I don't think we really need to mess with our "standard" as is. I think we should rule out making "frivolous" commits fixing "whitespace."

In other words, unless you're fixing a bug, enhancing a spell, or creating a new spell you shouldn't be committing stuff. I don't care if you "fix" whitespace while doing one of the above tasks, but don't go through and nit-pick other peoples code.

--
David Kowis

www.ronpaul2008.com - Ron Paul for President!
www.sourcemage.org - SourceMage GNU/Linux