sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Request for comments - formating in spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Juuso Alasuutari <iuso AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Request for comments - formating in spells
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:39:02 +0300

Mathieu Lonjaret wrote:
Then if some ppl have enough free time on their hands to spend it on
> "fixing" indent, good for them, if they really think that can help
> the whole community and not only for the sake of imposing their
> style...

There's a problem here, as good intentions don't always actualize themselves as genuine public service. Given any one person's preferences on what "fixing" means, a great portion of the other developers are bound to view the "fixes" as an ugly nuisance.

Without any formatting guidelines, "fixing" indentation is equivalent to imposing one's personal preferences upon others.

However as it's been already said, it should not get in the way
> of other ppl who want to review real commits, so I'm in favor
of separate commits for indents.

+1 (Although I'm not in favor of changing indentation in the first place.)

Juuso

PS: Your e-mail client doesn't seem to wrap lines, had to wrap the quoted text myself.