sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ipw2200

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Flavien Bridault (Disk Guru)" <f.bridault AT fra.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ipw2200
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 18:23:14 +0100

Le vendredi 03 février 2006 à 09:34 -0800, David Brown a écrit :
<snip>
> I agree also I think we should email the guys that make the firmware
> to see if we can't have the firmware on our mirror, currently it's in
> z-rejected because there exists a license that you have to agree to in
> order to get to the download page. The agreement is a simple: Intel
> isn't liable if you fsck up your card with the driver and the
> firmware...
>
> If we mention the license in the casting of the spell I think they
> would be happy to allow us as a mirror for the firmware.

On the license agreement page of the firmware, you can read :
"If you are not the final manufacturer or vendor of a computer system or
software program incorporating the Software, then you may transfer a
copy of the Software, including any related documentation (modified or
unmodified) to your recipient for use in accordance with the terms of
this Agreement, provided such recipient agrees to be fully bound by the
terms hereof."
"Your rights to redistribute the Software shall be contingent upon your
installation of this Agreement in its entirety in the same directory as
the Software."

So we can redistribute it if we put the license agreement in the same
directory our our mirror ? That doesn't really make sense here because
our users will not really see it. So I propose two solutions :
- prompt for the whole license agreement in the spell, but I'm not
sure
we used to do that for others spells, and this may be not really
readable
- warn the user as we used to do for z-rejected stuff, install the
license text somewhere and indicates the link in the warning.

Mmm, however I just read he whole text and see in section "exhibit A" :

"You may not copy, modify, rent, sell, distribute or transfer any part
of the Software except as provided in this Agreement, and you agree to
prevent unauthorized copying of the Software."

I'm not sure to understand...

Thoughts ?

[0] http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php?fid=6
--
Flavien Bridault
Source Mage GNU/Linux - Disk Section Guru

irc: vlaaad
jabber: vlaaad AT amessage.be