sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ipw2200

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Chris Dombroski <cdombroski AT icanttype.org>
  • To: disk AT sourcemage.org
  • Cc: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ipw2200
  • Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 18:07:42 -0500

Flavien Bridault (Disk Guru) wrote:
> Hi people !
>
> I also got ipw2200 working on my laptop but I had to swap two rules in
> the udev default rules file :
>
> SUBSYSTEM=="firmware", ACTION="add", RUN+="/lib/udev/firmware_helper"
> ENV{UDEVD_EVENT}=="1", RUN="udev_run_hotplugd $env{SUBSYSTEM}"
>
> I had to put the firmware line before udev_run_hotplugd launching.
> Unless this order, the firmware is not loaded, and my interpretation is
> that because hotplug tries to handle the firmaware loading. That fails
> and this is not anyway what we want to do.
>
> Before to do this change, I just want to request your opinion about
> this. I heard that some people, like David (Brown) got this module
> working, so I would like to know if they had to use this trick or not.

I've got mine working with a '(unset -f echo; echo 1000 >
/sys/class/firmware/timeout)' near the top of the hotplug script. My
research found that the usual firmware loading problem is caused by the
operation timing out, and this line fixes it.

> Speaking about that, two weeks ago, I discussed with Arwed that it would
> be good to add the possibility to install different firmware versions
> with the spell ipw2200_firmware. Arwed proposed to install all versions
> (2.2, 2.3, 2.4) to match all possible kernel versions, we could also,
> alternatively, prompt the user for the version(s) via a ncurses dialog,
> or maybe only config_query since they are only three choices (defaulting
> to all).
> Thoughts ?? :)

My understanding on the firmware is that it's related to driver version,
not kernel version.