sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] ipw2200

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Flavien Bridault (Disk Guru)" <f.bridault AT fra.net>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] ipw2200
  • Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 13:25:43 +0100

Hi people !

I also got ipw2200 working on my laptop but I had to swap two rules in
the udev default rules file :

SUBSYSTEM=="firmware", ACTION="add", RUN+="/lib/udev/firmware_helper"
ENV{UDEVD_EVENT}=="1", RUN="udev_run_hotplugd $env{SUBSYSTEM}"

I had to put the firmware line before udev_run_hotplugd launching.
Unless this order, the firmware is not loaded, and my interpretation is
that because hotplug tries to handle the firmaware loading. That fails
and this is not anyway what we want to do.

Before to do this change, I just want to request your opinion about
this. I heard that some people, like David (Brown) got this module
working, so I would like to know if they had to use this trick or not.

Speaking about that, two weeks ago, I discussed with Arwed that it would
be good to add the possibility to install different firmware versions
with the spell ipw2200_firmware. Arwed proposed to install all versions
(2.2, 2.3, 2.4) to match all possible kernel versions, we could also,
alternatively, prompt the user for the version(s) via a ncurses dialog,
or maybe only config_query since they are only three choices (defaulting
to all).
Thoughts ?? :)

++
--
Flavien Bridault
Source Mage GNU/Linux - Disk Section Guru

irc: vlaaad
jabber: vlaaad AT amessage.be