sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ipw2200

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Brown <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Chris Dombroski <cdombroski AT icanttype.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>, disk AT sourcemage.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ipw2200
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 16:37:15 -0800

> I've got mine working with a '(unset -f echo; echo 1000 >
> /sys/class/firmware/timeout)' near the top of the hotplug script. My
> research found that the usual firmware loading problem is caused by the
> operation timing out, and this line fixes it.

I don't like waiting that's why I made modified the rules so that I
wouldn't have to.

> My understanding on the firmware is that it's related to driver version,
> not kernel version.

This is correct and this is also why I suggested to just install all
of the versions, it's hard to tell from code which version(s) of the
kernel are installed then to which version(s) of the firmware might be
needed. So, the safe route would be to install all versions, since
they don't conflict and they don't take up much space.

- David Brown