sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ipw2200

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Flavien Bridault (Disk Guru)" <f.bridault AT fra.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ipw2200
  • Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 10:20:13 +0100

Le vendredi 03 février 2006 à 09:34 -0800, David Brown a écrit :
> > I also got ipw2200 working on my laptop but I had to swap two rules in
> > the udev default rules file :
>
> So do I :)
>
> > SUBSYSTEM=="firmware", ACTION="add", RUN+="/lib/udev/firmware_helper"
> > ENV{UDEVD_EVENT}=="1", RUN="udev_run_hotplugd $env{SUBSYSTEM}"
>
> Actually if you are running 2.6.15 you probably should remove the
> udev_run_hotplugd rule but if you are running 2.6.14 or less you
> should have that rule and not have the first, at least that's what
> I've noticed...
>
> The rule I use for firmware (which works with the coldplug script) is:
>
> ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="firmware", ENV{FIRMWARE}=="*",
> RUN+="/lib/udev/firmware_helper"
>
> We should probably make a 55-hotplug.rules file and a
> 55-coldplug.rules file (or something similarly named) one being for
> kernels <= 2.6.14 and the other being for > 2.6.14. Redhat has a
> similar setup with their rules files in the udev package.

Is this really needed ? Firmware loading really breaks with the current
udev setup on 2.6.14 ? I didn't try yet...

> > I had to put the firmware line before udev_run_hotplugd launching.
> > Unless this order, the firmware is not loaded, and my interpretation is
> > that because hotplug tries to handle the firmaware loading. That fails
> > and this is not anyway what we want to do.
>
> yeah that's what's happening, you should be able to dispel hotplug
> entirely and remove the udev_run_hotplugd rule and everything should
> work fine.

I would like to dispel entirely hotplug, but it is still needed for me
because gnome-volume-manager need it (for USB removable disks or digital
cameras for instance). If I remove it or remove the rule about
udev_run_hotplugd, it doesn't work anymore and I'm not sure you can get
it working without hotplug at present time.
So I think the best until we are sure we can get rid of hotplug is to
swap these two lines, at least for the 55-coldplug.rules

> > Before to do this change, I just want to request your opinion about
> > this. I heard that some people, like David (Brown) got this module
> > working, so I would like to know if they had to use this trick or not.
>
> yeah this trick and some others ;)
>
> > Speaking about that, two weeks ago, I discussed with Arwed that it would
> > be good to add the possibility to install different firmware versions
> > with the spell ipw2200_firmware. Arwed proposed to install all versions
> > (2.2, 2.3, 2.4) to match all possible kernel versions, we could also,
> > alternatively, prompt the user for the version(s) via a ncurses dialog,
> > or maybe only config_query since they are only three choices (defaulting
> > to all).
> > Thoughts ?? :)
>
> I agree also I think we should email the guys that make the firmware
> to see if we can't have the firmware on our mirror, currently it's in
> z-rejected because there exists a license that you have to agree to in
> order to get to the download page. The agreement is a simple: Intel
> isn't liable if you fsck up your card with the driver and the
> firmware...
>
> If we mention the license in the casting of the spell I think they
> would be happy to allow us as a mirror for the firmware.

That would be good indeed... :)