sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Linux Spell Custom Kernel Issues

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Robert Figura <rfigura AT aubergine.zwischengesicht.de>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Linux Spell Custom Kernel Issues
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 16:31:04 +0200

Am Friday 28 October 2005 19:37 schrieb David Brown:

After i had thought the options through i came to a conclusion and i'd like
to suggest to do it the following way:

> So what I'm seeing is that you want a way to be able to install a kernel
> without having to go through the selection of kernels and patches.

I like the newktree and oldktree concepts. The latter lacks a way to untar
(and maybe patch) the kernel by hand, since it only accepts existing kernel
trees it has created by itself. That should be changed and we'd have the
longed for debian functionality. (all /usr/src/linux-* should be regarded
as possible oldktree)

Newktree on the other hand should do summon, unpacking and - patching as far
as the spell knows. I like to have suggested versions which have been
tested by the sorcery team. But i'd also like to be able to provide a
version number already available but untested by the gurus. This is what
i'd understand under CUSTOM.

Sure, i might give a non-existing kernel version and get an error.

> I think in an abstract way saying "use /usr/src/linux as my kernel and
> go!!" would be a good idea but I'm wondering if this should even be a
> part of the linux spell. (I'm concerned about bloat features that could
> be better implemented solutions elsewhere)

The advantage of the linux spell is more than just summon and compile. It
may trigger kernel dependencies and does install tracking which is nice.

Comments?

Regards
- Robert Figura

--
/* mandlsig.c v0.23 (c) by Robert Figura <rfigura AT metabit.com> */
I=1702;float O,o,i;main(l){for(;I--;putchar("oO .,\nm>cot.bitamea\