sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Linux Spell Custom Kernel Issues

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Linux Spell Custom Kernel Issues
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:47:33 -0500

On Oct 28, Eric Sandall [eric AT sandall.us] wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> <snip>
> > However it's done, we could use something like this. It would make things
> > like xen easier to deal with. It would also help with the spells that
> > build kernel modules... we've been changing those to use sorcery functions
> > to find the last built version of the kernel to figure out what tree to
> > build against. I know it has fallback if the linux spell isn't there, but
> > if someone has left the linux spell installed and just done their own
> > kernels past that I imagine it gets confused. It would be nice if those
> > advanced/custom kernels could still get themselves "registered" with
> > sorcery.
>
> IMO, if the user wants to build the kernel outside of a spell then
> they need to not use the linux spell at all (or use it for initial
> setup, then remove it so it is no longer registered.
>
> As David mentioned, the linux spell is there for convenience and it is
> not meant (nor should it) to do everything.

Nothing can do everything of course, but why not extend it where
reasonable? I think it's too useful as a spell (and again, too impressive
an example of what our distro can do) to just say it's a convenience.

The suggested enhancement would cover a significant amount of the things
the current spell doesn't do, and shouldn't be that onerous to implement I
don't think...