sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Linux Spell Custom Kernel Issues

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Brown <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Linux Spell Custom Kernel Issues
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:56:55 -0700

> IMO, if the user wants to build the kernel outside of a spell then
> they need to not use the linux spell at all (or use it for initial
> setup, then remove it so it is no longer registered.
>
> As David mentioned, the linux spell is there for convenience and it is
> not meant (nor should it) to do everything.

Nothing can do everything of course, but why not extend it where
reasonable?  I think it's too useful as a spell (and again, too impressive
an example of what our distro can do) to just say it's a convenience.

Huh, Okay :D

The suggested enhancement would cover a significant amount of the things
the current spell doesn't do, and shouldn't be that onerous to implement I
don't think...

 hehe, don't ever say "shouldn't be that hard to implement" to a developer unless he says it back ;)

Well I think as long as the custom kernel option requirements are layed out enough I can give you an estimate of how much reworking of the spell would be needed and how much it would affect the stability of the system...