permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Trojan Horses and Permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Trojan Horses and Permaculture
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 04:21:31 -0400

On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM, Scott Pittman <scott@permaculture.org>wrote:

> A second permaculture trend was born out of pattern literacy gained from
> protracted observation of whole Earth systems and seeking solutions based
> on
> those observations and patterns. In other words applying permaculture
> design ethics and principals to a broken system - broken in the sense that
> humans have lost connection with or even recognition of the planetary
> processes. By looking at the whole system one cannot ignore economic and
> social justice any more than one can ignore deforestation, and
> desertification to do so is to miss the primary cause of the secondary
> symptoms.
>
> I believe that permaculture appeals to the highest of human aspirations,
> and
> that is, to live an ethical and careful (full of care) life. I believe
> that
> it is from this higher calling that permaculture was conceived and
> developed
> and without this bedrock foundation there would not be such a strong
> response around the world to the lessons of permaculture. Most of the
> people that I admire in permaculture are those who are seeking to better
> conditions for all species, ecosystems, and communities within and
> surrounding them. Permaculture was the culmination of those pattern
> literate predecessors, as Jason points out, who carefully spelled out how
> our planetary systems configure and operate. Bill and David Holmgrin's
> brilliant development of permaculture was their recognition (though often
> not credited) of these thoughtful scholars and combining their work into a
> functional system of design. It is from that template that all good
> teachers and designers do their work.
>
> Permaculture design is a system to restore and create better conditions for
> our planet it is not and has never been a vehicle for ego gratification or
> for obtaining wealth, unless wealth is the realization of a healthy social
> and environmental situation in which everyone and everything thrives
> equally. Is that woo woo? I don't think so, I believe it is the
> evolutionary path we walked for thousands of years until the advent of
> settled agriculture which to me was a socially aberrant mutation from which
> we have suffered over the past 10,000 years.

Scott, your thinking and writing are brilliant and without peer. You, along
with David Holmgren are the logical companions and eventual
successors to Bill Mollison as leaders of the Permaculture movement. Your
teachings are an indispensible guiding light to any and all who
seek to learn more about permaculture in order to practice it more
effectively and share it with others around the world. I just want to
express
my appreciation for you lifetime of devotion to the field of permaculture,
one of the best things that has ever happened to mankind.

Lawrence London