pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] how to help Chad

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] how to help Chad
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 23:48:04 +0000

Chad Knepp wrote:

Richard Morris writes:
> <snipped me>
>
> Congratulations, and well done for your honesty. I just hope we/I am up > for the job. Hand holding is a thing we all need from time to time.
> > I'm wondering if we need a different communication mechanism. Things > might work easier if we try instant messaging or phone. This might allow > a little bit more two way communication. (At college today one of the > lectures has been experimenting with attaching sound files to emails, it > seemed to be quite good).
> > As to tasks I see the first task has to be implementing user login.
> For this we need:
> login name, password
> other contact details, email, phone no, website, address
> > We can do this simply just by standard http GET/POST and a cookie system > to allow persistence. A more secure mechanism would be nice but not > essential at this stage.

Cookies are already implemented in the latest release, which is not
the current live version on ibiblio.

Cool. Do you need some sort of review of current release, I've not put time to date into actually examining the code, I suppose a moke up interface on dev.permaculture.info would be good.

> When we have done that, a "hello world" with login program is the next > step. Aim here is to have a simple micky mouse DB. Maybe just a simple > plant record with an id for a plant and free text comments after that.
> Allow:
> registered user to creat new plant
> any users to attach comment at end of record.
> > Once this is working we can then move onto intergrating with main DB, > but that for next week ;-)
> > > OK how that, is this what your looking for? Too much or too little detail?

Well I actually have all of the above understood as my immediate tasks
carried over from last year even.

Cool.

> I think what I'm asking for at the
moment is more of an interest in why I'm not actually getting anything
done and encouragement to do so.

I see. I'm up to help in any way I can.
As to why you not getting anything done, I have been think about it quite a bit and how to offer you some encouragement.
Distance and lack of communication can't help, it can get rather isolating. Apologies if my emails seem rather clinical and un personal.

So what are the things your struggling with? Is it a lake of clarity in the project or something else? In the past I've been in a similar situation where there a major design decision have paralysed me.
Seems like theres other big stuff going on in your life, is that effecting things?

> Later on I think I would like more
specfic direction as well as continued progress checkins.

> If chad or anyone else waht to ring me I'm on +44 1208872963. Normally > available 6pm-12pm GMT.
> > Rich

I actually made a little motion toward setting put
dev.permaculture.info on ibiblio. Should resolve correctly in about
24 hours or so.

Sounds good, will there be much to see there?

Rooting for you.