pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] how to help Chad

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] how to help Chad
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 20:49:10 +0000

Chad Knepp wrote:
Hello all,

Ok, this still just isn't working for me to work on this under the
current circumstances and I have a suggestion that I think may work
better. Essentially try as I may, I truly seem to be incapable of
self-motivating on a project that isn't purely recreational. Since I
can't think of way to make this project be just something I do for fun
when I feel like it, I think maybe what I need is a boss. I would
like to resign from being "lead programmer" and instead take direction
from one or more folks, even if it means that I'm still doing most of
the actual programming. I would like to suggest some combination of
Rich M., John S. and Stephanie as being folks I could take direction
from and people that have a good vision of our direction. My vision
of what this would look like is some sort of weekly based task list
and routine checkins/progress reports.

Yes, I think think I need some hand holding here. What do y'all think?

Sorry,
Chad

Congratulations, and well done for your honesty. I just hope we/I am up for the job. Hand holding is a thing we all need from time to time.

I'm wondering if we need a different communication mechanism. Things might work easier if we try instant messaging or phone. This might allow a little bit more two way communication. (At college today one of the lectures has been experimenting with attaching sound files to emails, it seemed to be quite good).

As to tasks I see the first task has to be implementing user login.
For this we need:
login name, password
other contact details, email, phone no, website, address

We can do this simply just by standard http GET/POST and a cookie system to allow persistance. A more secure mechanism would be nice but not essential at this stage.

When we have done that, a "hello world" with login program is the next step. Aim here is to have a simple micky mouse DB. Maybe just a simple plant record with an id for a plant and free text comments after that.
Allow:
registered user to creat new plant
any users to attach comment at end of record.

Once this is working we can then move onto intergrating with main DB, but that for next week ;-)

OK how that, is this what your looking for? Too much or too little detail?

If chad or anyone else waht to ring me I'm on +44 1208872963. Normally available 6pm-12pm GMT.