msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] motorized parasails and MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: no name name none <blindrodie@hotmail.com>
  • To: Mounted Search and Rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] motorized parasails and MSAR
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 14:59:33 +0000

Just to clarify a few definitions folks. I'm a hang glider pilot and Dealer since 1998.

Parasail - basically a round or conical shaped uncontrolled parachute that is pulled through the air by a vehicle, most commonly seen being towed by a boat. The parachute has slots or holes cut into one side of the sail to keep it moving in one direction. It IS NOT a foot launchable aircraft.

Paraglider - This is a true crescent shaped "wing", that is controllable both in pitch and roll or turning and climbing or descending. It can be towed but usually only to altitude where the pilot releases and fly's away using thermals and air currents to navigate. A paraglider needs to launch from an elevated area, such as a mountain or hill in order to catch thermals or rising air to fly any reasonable distance. It is a foot launchable aircraft and has no "landing gear" other then the pilots legs.

Powered Paraglider - This is also a true crescent shaped "wing" that is controllable both in pitch and roll or turning and climbing or descending, however it is attached to a "backpack motor". It is a foot launchable aircraft and can be launched from flat ground as opposed to a paraglider that needs to launch from an elevated area, such as a mountain or hill in order to catch thermals or rising air to fly any reasonable distance. One can also attach light weight "tricycle" landing gear to this aircraft if the pilot chooses, but this is not typically done.

Powered Parachute - This ia a flying parachute of slightly different design in that the "wing" has more of a rectangular shape, as opposed to a paraglider or powered paraglider wing which is crescent shaped. It has landing gear permanently attached and a motor. It can have two seats as well.

Hang glider - This is a true, structured wing aircraft that is often referred to as an ultralight. It has tubes, cables and a basic A frame from which the pilot hangs or sits within to control the the wing in pitch and roll, via weight shift around the center of gravity of the pilot. It is foot launchable and can also be towed by ground or water based vehicles as well as aerotowed
in the same manner as a sailplane. Hang gliders can also utilize motors.

Powered Parachutes are the only one of the above mentioned "aircraft" that the FAA require, at the very least, a SPORT PILOT license to fly.

All the other aircraft are self-regulated and are only required to fly under the rules defined by the FAA within: FAR 103, however there is a national organization called the USHPA (United States Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association) that provides training and certification as well as insurance and other vital needs to this particular community.

I would be happy to clarify any of this information.

James "Wingman" Gaar
USHPA #73864
Kansas City Hang Glider Supplies
Torrey Hawk #212