msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] motorized parasails and MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] motorized parasails and MSAR
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 07:58:52 -0600

I would want someone trained and experienced in air control to handle air
operations.

A high profile missin tends to attract media and private aircraft, so even
with air control in place it may become too dangerous to operate a parasail
or ultralight.

The only relevance I see to MSAR is in the possibility for horses to spook
at a low flying parasail. In my experience, horses that are calm under
normal SAR circumstances (with ambulance sirens and lights, helicopters
etc.) will remain calm in the face of many things that may frighten other
horses. A parasail would have the most in common with a hot air balloon;
both can be very quiet.