msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] search strategies for mounted SAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Finkle, Tomi <CTR>" <Tomi.Finkle@associates.dhs.gov>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] search strategies for mounted SAR
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 17:12:35 -0400

Una,

While I understand your view point (and in some cases strongly agree),
we must keep in mind that there are several states that require a SAR
team to hold 501 (C)(3) status before they can be considered or can
operate as an NGO ESF-9 resource. SAR teams operating under a local or
state government agency have administrative protocols in place, which
often times provides benefits to such volunteers whereby treating them
as non-salaried employees.

It is very important for MSAR mangers to understand what in required in
their own state/region in order to claim year end deductions or to
provide tax (write-off) incentives to private and public entities or
individuals.

T'mi
www.trotsar.org