msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] search strategies for mounted SAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Finkle" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] search strategies for mounted SAR
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 07:02:14 -0400

Partnering and training with other SAR resources is an excellent suggestion and is something our team has been doing just that for years.  We have included Civil Air Patrol, a SAR K9’s (Air Scent, Tracking, Trailing and HRD), ground teams and ATV evacuation resources during our trainings. Our team members also attend State-wide multi discipline SAR exercises and workshops where we are exposed to a host of SAR disciplines and personnel.  We have found that training together with other SAR resources enhances performance during actual mission deployments.  We train in Federal, State and local wilderness properties as well as on privately owned farms.  Because our team is a 501 C-3 organization property owners can write off any (waived) rental fees for the use of their property when we train there. As a validation SAR resource that holds State level MOU’s we can incorporate special training on many government owned properties by simply submitting a special use permit. Due to safety concerns most of our training sites are 1000 to 8000 acres in size and includes exposing our team members to a variety of terrain conditions and population densities.  If anyone is on Facebook, I have a picture posted there of a “K-9 meets Equine” class that I taught during last week’s Virginia SAR Conference (I can email that photo to anyone who contacts me off-list). There is also a picture of me teaching to a youth SAR group, many of whom will be tomorrow’s SAR responders.

Susan, as far as search strategies; we use NASAR techniques for much of our MSAR training.  These protocols include but are not limited to; hasty searches, route searches, area searches, passive search techniques, implementing lost person behavior patterns, mounted evacuations and calculating POD. Because search strategies require basic SAR skills, knowledge and abilities; we also include the basics such as land navigation, communications, first aid, wilderness survival and other topics found within the NASAR manual (our team’s standards include these general SAR strategies).  An example of some of the MSAR standards that we have incorporated can be found at www.vasarco.org within the equine standards.

T’mi

www.trotsar.org