msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] motorized parasails and MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: no name name none <blindrodie@hotmail.com>
  • To: Mounted Search and Rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] motorized parasails and MSAR
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 17:46:38 +0000

As far as a platform for observation I'll say this. 2 persons would be mot effective.

I am a HUGE supporter of all types of aircraft, however as a purest when it comes to free flight, my personal opinion is that all powered parachutes, powered  paragliders and powered hang gliders are noisy and if utilizing a 2 stroke motor (fuel and oil mix) they are also good at polluting the air! The operator typically would have on a helmet to keep from going deaf, and would not be able to hear a subject calling for help, as you would in a hang or paraglider. Yes, you can hear noise from the ground and "talk" pilot-to-pilot while flying together!

Any parachute type aircraft is also very limited to the weather in which it can fly "effectively" in and they are subject to sail collapse which is dangerous in any low level flight and it's ability to penetrate into any windy condition situation. Slow flight is what they do. I would never say it's a tool that should be ignored, as these types of aircraft in certain situations may be just the ticket. It's always good to have a mixed bag of tools when it comes to SAR.

There are instances of non-motorized paragliders and hang gliders finding bodies and lost aircraft although not during and official SAR.

I would agree that using a satellite, or other high altitude picture taking aircraft over time would be a good, and in most cases better tool.

Jim