msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] search strategies for mounted SAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Irvin Lichtenstein " <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: <Jorene@CEOates.com>, "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] search strategies for mounted SAR
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 22:47:15 -0400

Dogs are allowed off leash except on federal property—Pennsylvania’s leash law only requires control of the dog off the owner’s property as long as proper tags are on the dog (county license, rabies). Tangent:  It is interesting to note that only federal parks publish a 6 foot rule. Also, under PA law a dog except for certain breeds deemed vicious (like pit bulls) get the first bite free, while horses don’t.

The post used a specific resource example to make a point.  There are some areas where other resources would be restricted and it would not be possible to conduct training.  For instance, there are terminal control areas around airports, no fly zones near military bases and government reservations which would restrict practicing with aircraft.  In the extreme we have gunnery ranges in NJ where the Air Guard bombs and the National Guard shoots artillery without telling anyone when. This would also impact training near Yuma, AZ  (Marines) or Las Vegas, NV (Air Force) for the same reasons. And we have a test area for aircraft so Boeing can test Chinooks and V-22 Osprey built just south of here.  It can be very exciting even when flying legally over South Jersey, dodging Guard interceptors and USAF transports, as well as commercial traffic above you.

The point, which seems to go by you repeatedly is, if you can’t practice frequently and easily with other resources you will be forced to learn how they work and how good they are when they show up on a job, which is the worst time to have to learn about them. Our IC’s are local officials who never run searches, Ops and Planning are usually trained search managers who respond as mutual aid or second due on the incident.

Irv Lichtenstein

SE PA SAR