msar-riders - [MSAR] K-9 Evac on horseback

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Kate Beardsley" <katebeardsley@hotmail.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] K-9 Evac on horseback
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:30:19 +0000

One more idea for packing dogs...
I kept thinking about this topic and couldn't come up with anything good until I imagined myself having to do it. Then the answer (for me) came easily.
If my pack string was hired and I found myself at some trailhead knowing there were 5 dogs needing to be packed out, it would only be a question of equipment for me. I would want collapsible crates for each dog and I would not use my panniers. I would use my racks. I have folding flat racks that I use to pack in coolers, propane tanks, fence posts, you name it. Placing one crate on each rack, I would balance each dog with another dog and maybe a rock or two, strap 'em on, and hit the trail. Every horse in my pack string is trained to ride, drive, and pack, so I'm not worried about the sensation of movement by the dogs in the crates. And all my pack horses are ridiculously used to my dog jumping up on them when I ride. A barking dog would drive me insane, so having muzzles on hand would be nice. Putting the crates on flat racks would keep the dogs readily accessible if something unforseen were to happen. I would want the smallest crates possible as many wilderness trails are simply not that wide. I try to not carry more than 160 pounds of load on my horses on any routine basis. So that covers two 70 pound dogs plus crates and racks without a problem. I do load them heavily occassionally for short distances, so in this possible emergency, I would be willing to carry out heavier dogs. Using the crates would be preferable over the bags as it adds a degree of protection for the dog, but the bags would be a great option to consider.
So, add that to the list of possibilities. It's the one that would work for me. I remember seeing children in the panniers of pack horses in Havasupai Canyon years ago. And they regularly just turn their pack horses loose and gather them up when they've travelled 7 miles up to the canyon rim! Yikes!
Kate

"We are what we repeatedly do."

Kate Beardsley
...building relationships
...developing athletes
..."driven" to excellence
Central Oregon

i'm making a difference. Make every IM count for the cause of your choice. Join Now. http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0080000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=hmtagline