msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] K-9 Evac on horseback

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] K-9 Evac on horseback
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 21:57:10 -0700

You hit on the key criteria ... training. :)

Before transporting a dog, training is required for all ... not just the dog. In front of the rider in the saddle or in a pannier are viable options. I've also seen riders with a smaller dog use a padded "box" that is attached just behind the saddle - similar to a small child's "riding double" seat - and the dog is trained to stay in the special seat.

The dog with the possible spinal injury can also be transported if the training and equipment is there. If a dog will lie quietly, strapping to a small backboard and loading across the top of the pack animal is an option. A quiet smaller dog could be strapped to a smaller board and carried across the rider's lap. In easier terrain, a travois could be considered for a large dog.

Obviously, all options require training, preferably in a controlled environment. You don't want that dog or mount's first exposure to this during a more stressful situation. Not all animals will accept this method of transportation. If SAR dogs, horses (and mules) and humans have all trained together, and have refresher training, you can quickly find out who has problems. Good management suggests pre-identifying which dogs or horses can be used for K-9 mounted evacuation.

~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
SAR & CERT
Mounted SAR