msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] K-9 Evac on horseback

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] K-9 Evac on horseback
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 14:11:23 -0600

Chris Pennington wrote:
>I wonder if you could use the collapsible crates and put one in a
>pannier for travel?

That's a thought. But if you have a pannier, would you need a dog
crate too? Or are you thinking of a soft pannier bag, rather than
a box?

Chris Pennington wrote:
>At current time if needs be we have discussed having the handler (if
>they have riding experience) or an experienced rider ride holding the
>animal across their lap.

I think a large dog, slung across the saddle/rider's lap without
its pelvis and shoulders supported, would soon be exhausted and
have serious trouble breathing. Which would lead to struggling.

What do you think about rolling the dog in a tarp or poncho or
slicker, to form a cylinder, then reinforce the cylinder with
sticks or an inflatable human-size leg splint, to make a stiff
full-body sleeve? Full restraint and litter rolled into one, as
it were.

Another option, if enough time, would be to call for a collapsible
wheeled litter to be packed in by another team on horseback, then
walked out. Yes, you can wrangle one of these from horseback, but
do you have enough control from horseback to ensure the occupant
is not unnecessarily jostled?