msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] K-9 Evac on horseback

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo's <pennbo@verizon.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] K-9 Evac on horseback
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 10:54:08 -0700

I wonder if you could use the collapsible crates and put one in a pannier for travel? Of course you would have to have a high probability of use in order to include it in your gear and you'd have to have some hefty sized panniers. Equal weight and balance would be of the utmost importance. This set-up could include small to moderate sized dogs but probably not large dogs. Just wondering if this might work.

Our unit has discussed this issue before but we have no experience with it. At current time if needs be we have discussed having the handler (if they have riding experience) or an experienced rider ride holding the animal across their lap. Training is of course still the key as well as the reason the dog needs transport. A true emergency would be handled quite differently than a case of exhaustion or sore paws. Could a mild tranq be given to a dog in such a situation so as to make it more managable for the rider?

Chris Pennington