msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] K-9 Evac on horseback

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo's <pennbo@verizon.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] K-9 Evac on horseback
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 15:51:02 -0700

That's a thought. But if you have a pannier, would you need a dog
crate too? Or are you thinking of a soft pannier bag, rather than
a box?

Sorry, I was thinking soft sided pannier. The crate would allow some ventilation at the top where as the box would have to be left uncovered in order to ventilate and then there's no restraint.

I think a large dog, slung across the saddle/rider's lap without
its pelvis and shoulders supported, would soon be exhausted and
have serious trouble breathing. Which would lead to struggling.

Good point. Large dogs have to be treated as if they are unconscious humans. In effect with their size its the same type of carry.

What do you think about rolling the dog in a tarp or poncho or
slicker, to form a cylinder, then reinforce the cylinder with
sticks or an inflatable human-size leg splint, to make a stiff
full-body sleeve? Full restraint and litter rolled into one, as
it were.

Heat would be an issue I think. And stabilization.

I suspect that in a real emergency a SAR dog would be helo'd out just as human SAR personnel would be.

Chris Pennington