msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] K-9 Evac on horseback

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] K-9 Evac on horseback
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 21:06:43 -0600

Chris Pennington wrote:
>[...] Large dogs have to be treated as if they are unconscious
>humans. In effect with their size its the same type of carry.

Hm. I think they would have to be treated as if they were uncooperative
or potentially uncooperative humans.

>Heat would be an issue I think. And stabilization.

Human subjects often are heavily packaged, precisely for stabilization.

>I suspect that in a real emergency a SAR dog would be helo'd out just as
>human SAR personnel would be.

Maybe, if that's possible, but often it isn't. More generally, a large
dog presents similar transport issues to a person, due to weight alone.
Too bad an injured SAR horse is not in the same ballpark as an injured
SAR dog, weight wise.

Una