msar-riders - [MSAR] Communications Harness

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Communications Harness
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:45:20 -0400

[Deleted HTML duplicate. -Una]

Radios and cellphones can be a real headache on horseback.

As volunteers and through the years we have used various communications
equipment.... For our personal radios we have had to fabricate a cloth type
carrier. It has a strap that goes much like a safety belt does in a car and
has a sack to hold
the radio and it can be slung so the radio can be carried near the hip or
more towards your rearend when sitting on the horse. It also allows us to
carry the radio either on our person or on the horn of the saddle. Since we
are on older equipment, the snub antenna is still a problem, however not like
it used to be many years back when we used to carry portable CB's however,
those are no longer practical due to their size etc and were a real headache
taking up much room in the saddle bag and a real pain with the larger
whiptype antennas. Nothing like mounting up and having to kick over a three
foot antenna sticking out of your saddlebag! Thank goodness for modern
technology!

I have had problems with belt clip type radios and also carrying a cell
phone on the belt as they have a tendency to work themselves out of the belt
and will fall to the ground riding. You can easily loose a radio that way
without your knowing it. Getting a cell out of your pocket while mounted can
be a problem too.

Cell phones are great..plastic zipper bags will easily protect
them....although the biggest issue there is holding the little phones while
on a horse and talking as they are so easily dropped if you need to control
your horse. I would love to see some cell phone company come out with a
phone that actually has a wrist strap attatched to the hard case or a make a
cover that has a wrist strap as dismounting and making a call is not always
practical. The new flip phones are flimsy to me in that they have too many
"moving parts"!

Waterproofing the radios are an even bigger problem.

What the ride organizers provide us to communicate back to them is what we
are stuck with and have to deal with.

Hands fre head gear would be great but then we have the the helmet and the
bare head or cowboy hat!

K. Nesbitt
Illinois - Unaffiliated
Iroquois County