msar-riders - [MSAR] communications harness

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Sue Dolezal <kk7smd@bendbroadband.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] communications harness
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 22:55:23 -0400

[Deleted included prior post and HTML duplicate; repaired broken
lines; added attribution to quote. -Una]

Una Smith wrote:
>>May I suggest investing in some riding lessons to further improve your
>>seat=3F>>

Una-

Since you don't know me and I don't know you, this may not have come across
as you intended...however, my response could be overly sensitive after being
on the Black Crater fire for the last 4 days with very little sleep.

Larger busted women, when wearing a communication harness with radios WILL
GET BOUNCE. To be very simplistic and basic, it's a gravity thing with the
rising and falling of parts of the female anatomy...I don't care what kind
of bra is used. And comms packs can only be pulled so tight. I didn't care
for the insinuation I don't know how to ride. Low blow...especially when
you don't know me. It would be nice if comments were not personal, but
stuck to the topic.

DCSSAR is a professional, well trained organization. We have regular
training, for all our teams, including mounted. Our mounted team
proficiency requirements have exceeded what I have seen on this group since
joining...and yes, I have read TROTSAR. I would also like to point out,
DCSSAR Mounted Team members are also experienced members of other teams
(from MRU to Overhead) and respond to other missions, not just calls for
mounted SAR. To become a mounted team member, each must be state certified
SAR, pass the rider proficiency, and each horse used must pass it's own
proficiency evaluation.

Not that I should have to explain to you, however, I have participated in
endurance rides, gaming, polo, as well as barrels, pole bending, cross
country clinics, western equitation, centered riding, etc. I'm pleased you
got the deep seat in 50 hours. I wish I could be that precise in my
calculations of when I reached that point, but may have to go back for 40
years or so to calculate the number of hours it may have taken me. I don't
have that kind of time.

With that said, back to the original topic. I have used Rescue Response,
Conterra and Western Case communication harnesses...either purchased or
loaned to me for the sole purpose of mounted SAR. I don't have any
difficulty with using any version by manufactures when I am on a ground
team. I am trying out a borrowed hip pack at this time that will carry one
radio, pen, pad and Leatherman. Unfortunately being at hip level, it is
difficult to hear and unless I put one on both sides of me (talk about
balance!), I could only carry one radio and need two. The need for two
radios is even more significant when called on to head for the highest peak
we can get to on horseback for crossbanding radio communications.

Cell phone coverage is an issue in the Cascade Mountains. As I explained to
Irv in a private (and most productive) email we exchanged earlier, we do not
have good GSM coverage in Central Oregon, and the TDMA cell coverage is
being phased out. I do carry a Nokia 6360 (discontinued) TDMA cell phone,
which is one of the strongest that had been available except for the old bag
phones (not easy to install on a horse). I carry my cell phone (required
for our SAR units in the field) in a water repellant nylon cell carrier (no
zip lock bag) made by Western Case, hooked securely on waistband of my pants
(jeans, or riding pants) at my back, set to vibration and ring. I normally
feel it vibrating against my spine, so I know I have a call. My pager (also
required by our SAR unit for all members in the field...and normally within
hearing range 24/7), is on my right hip and am trying the ham radio on the
left hip.

I would like to entertain serious discussion on this topic, however, if it's
another silly, personal comment, please consider keeping it to yourself or
drop me from the list. It was my intent to join a professional mounted SAR
list free from personal issues.

Sincerely,

Sue Dolezal
DCSSAR