msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] communications harness

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Sue Dolezal'" <kk7smd@bendbroadband.com>, "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] communications harness
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 23:32:50 -0400

Nobody teaches how to ride with all the junk on we wear. The first time I
rode with a professional horse trainer she couldn't understand why for a
trail ride of under 2 hours I was carrying saddle bags, water bottles, a
radio, phone, and wearing full length chaps over my high boots (and a
helmet). She was wearing breeches and a tank top. Habit dies hard. There is
a corollary to Murphy's Law--If you plan for it it won't happen. My prime
example is maternity. I once encountered a very pregnant lady in the park.
I didn't have an OB kit with me but fortunately she was on a paved trail and
a medic unit responded in time. I got one of those throw a way kits and have
never encountered even a little bit pregnant lady since.

Regardless of your body type you must be comfortable riding in your gear. I
have found chest packs to restrict my arm movements so I wear radios on the
hip, turned up all the way if necessary. We only carry a tactical unit
whenever possible. If a repeater is being placed it is either two portables
strapped together or a suitcase size unit. Placing such a unit would be a
dedicated task and for the suitcase we would find a way to strap it on a
horse if necessary.

I personally find the air operated towers on the com van a lot easier to
place than field repeaters but then we don't have the Cascades.