msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Communications Harness

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: <jchuston@earthlink.net>, "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Communications Harness
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 17:44:17 -0400

I carry the primary radio on my belt in a breakaway holster (the kind where
you turn it upside down to slip off). The holster flap is fastened down. We
use 150 MHz Kings and they weigh about 40 ounces with a maximum capacity
NiCad. They can be fitted with either a coil cord speaker mike or a
straight cord mike which has an antenna mounted on the unit to get it up
higher. We have found that although the "rubber ducky" of about 6" or so is
not the most efficient the use of 18" whips does not improve coverage
significantly. We have also found that while speaker mikes are nice, they
are failure prone and tend to get tangled up unless the cables are threaded
through your clothes.

Anything else goes in the saddle bags in the summer in plastic bags. In the
winter I sometimes use the zippered pockets of a riding jacket to hold the
spare battery and a phone. Some members do use pocketed vests but these
often require two hands to get anything out or in-- opening and closing the
flap and putting the stuff in the pocket. Unfortunately, Velcro does not
seem to work well in our environment and zippers are more satisfactory.

I wear a compass and a whistle on a neck loop, usually tucked into a shirt
pocket.