msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] communications harness

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] communications harness
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:29:04 -0600

Sue Dolezal wrote:
>Does anyone have a favorite communication harness they ride with?
>I have tried a couple variations, but haven't been happy with either.

Care to name them? That might help others here who have the same
question.

I've had good success putting the radio in an outside pocket of my
backpack. With a speaker microphone clipped to one shoulder strap
of the backpack.

Carrying the radio at your hip on a belt is a popular option, but
your reception may suffer somewhat.

>When mounting my horse, the radio antenna can get hung up on the
>saddle rigging.

Yup. I can't say often enough how important it is to train with
any and all gear you propose to use on SAR missions. Precisely so
you discover and work out ways to cope with even minor equipment
issues, when it isn't a life and death emergency situation.

>It is my preference to wear my radio (or radios...many times an 800
>and a portable ham), cell phone, etc

Good for you. That way your communications is sure to go with you
whenever you dismount.

>moving along quickly when clearing trails or when sent quickly to
>a trail staging location, you get a lot of bouncing.

May I suggest investing in some riding lessons to further improve
your seat? Lunge line, trotting without stirrups, etc? It *is*
possible to eliminate all bounce in your torso, riding at any gait
and speed. Achieving that does take a lot of work, though. A
good instructor can help. I say this as someone who rides with a
backpack (day pack). I spent probably 50 hours in the saddle, in
lessons and solo, working on my seat, before I could really *sit*
my mare at all gaits and all speeds short of a full gallop. And
it still requires adequate conditioning of both of us for strength
and flexibility.