msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Thanks for conditioning info from Dana

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Thanks for conditioning info from Dana
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:44:06 -0400

[Deleted HTML duplicate. -Una]

ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net> wrote: Karen, I will look at this
soon and wish my older EPM horse could do MSAR, but the conditioning/modified
would help him when it cools off. Thanks for your help and keep in touch.
My next goal is to find a horse that I could own/lease and our beginner
daughter can learn hunters on and show a bit. Dana Snyder RN, CAP NCCS,
Gardner, KS

Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com> wrote: Hi Dana, no problem...I
happened across the endurance site in a search I was doing on other
information and the timing was impeccable to make a post of it to MSAR....

.>>>
AS FOR MSAR AND GREEN - I am a firm beleiver if we get too sticky in
certain regulations that we will find ourselves losing what little riders are
out their that actually do get out and go on a real search and when the call
comes and it would be all hands on deck, you will be thankful for those out
there regardless of their green horses as it is entirely possible also they
might be be the only ones there with you.
.
They just might be the ones helping in other ways too that can be so
detrimental in helping someone else. Considering you are a nurse, who might
hold your animal while you are the one with more experience or knowledge to
give better care?? It is little things that can mean a lot and to me to say
keep green horses and green riders or even young people out, WE ARE ALL
GREEN in one respect or another so who you gonna call? For every call,
there is experience and knowledge to be gained. And us old folks are
getting older and so maybe that young sprout on the horse next to you might
be able to do a little faster running for you while you are doing also
something he cannot do. MSAR is a community and TEAM effort not just the
efforts of one.

A WORD ON LEASING - ...always there is risk when you have use of any horse
that someone will get hurt. That is life with horses period. I have seen
even the most seasoned horse fly off the handle on occassion...and you being
an RN I am sure you have seen your share of injuries of various types. I am
a firm beleiver though, if you are not comfortable with the mount you have,
you will never ride your best. I can also give you an example of when I took
another filly I had only 10 days on to go round up someones cattle. The
filly had no fear of cattle, where my seasoned ridng horse of all time was
too hot to do the job...so to expect any horse to "do it all" most of us are
dreaming. So my "green" filly was by far the better choice for that job of
the day and it was her first ride out of the arena being only saddle broke 10
days before.

ON SHOWING -
Showing can be a great experience and can also be a cutthroat business. I
hope you will find a way to keep showing safe and fun. It is not the ribbons
its the experience. It is one of those places I know of when sometimes when
you win you lose and sometimes when you lose you win....You just simply
cannot always take it to heart and that is being realistic. It can often be
a very unhappy place in the ranking.

MORE ON LEASING -
I have leased horses before and it is far easier to own....when you own,
you have full control of everything includuding how your animal might have to
be put to sleep in the event of a serious injury. When you lease, you make
serious consessions that might go against your normal moral fiber. People
rarely think of having an instance where the animal gets injured and might
die or have to be put down. If the horse gets injured and you lease it and
it needs to be put down, read carefully the rules and regulations before you
sign the lease paying attention to how any claim will need to be handled. It
is no fun standing there watching an animal suffer while you have to make all
the calls to every party involved to get the go ahead for vet care or worse
case scenario of having to put the animal down. The animal can suffer
prolonged pain and for what, because somebody wants money for the part he or
she has lost. When it is your own, you can do what is right by your
animal quicker and with more peace of mind.

Consider that too, if you use the horse for MSAR..things can get awful
sticky in the what if the animal gets hurt and you are on a search?

Getting back to the issue of red ribbons....it is just far better for
everyone to ride a safe distance from the other. Some riders have no clue as
to what that is though and loss common sense.

Thanks and best wishes in your endeavors.

Karen Nesbitt
Illinois - Unaffiliated
Iroquois County

VISIT US AT:
http://kbefarms.bravehost.com/index.html
Join in our NEW FORUM
Sign our GUESTBOOK
Place a FREE CLASSIFIED!
BLOG ON:
http://spaces.msn.com/members/kbefarms/

  • Re: [MSAR] Thanks for conditioning info from Dana, Karen Nesbitt, 07/28/2006