msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Training

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Training
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:48:13 -0600

Marie Lester wrote:
>Our unit is planning a Riddle Ride on Sat. The idea is to create
>riddles that require the members to solve the problem, all of which
>are related to GPS use, formation, CPR/ First Aid, search patterns,
>etc.

This is probably complicated for a training exercise. It combines
riddle solving *plus* application of (or at least knowledge of)
specific SAR skills. Could you be more specific? What would a
typical riddle be? And how would you expect the trainee to solve
it?

> The riddles are on cards that will be hidden next to the
>trails. Riders and walkers will be expected to find these cards by
>using their GPS's, after being given coordinates.

This is probably too complicated for a training exercise. Mainly
because it combines GPS using, navigating, and searching, three
different skills. If the trainee does not find a hidden card, how
will they know if the problem is that their GPS usage is faulty,
navigation is faulty, or that they have not searched long enough
(how long should they search? minutes, hours, or indefinitely?),
or that an error has occurred (ie, the written GPS coordinates
they were given are in some way wrong)? Actually,

No matter how you run it, be sure to vet (field check) it first.
The vetter should be someone with skills and experience superior
to the trainees, but who has no advance knowledge where the cards
are hidden or what is on them. Ie, recruit a skilled GPS user /
SAR trainer to field test your format well in advance. And also
recruit one or more skilled GPS users to field check the actual
setup the night before or early on the day of the event; give
these vetters exactly (and only) the same briefing (including any
handouts) as you plan to give the trainees.

Good luck! Sounds like it could be a lot of fun, if kept simple.