msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Training

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Marie Lester" <marie.lester@gmail.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Training
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 18:39:13 -0400

"This is probably too complicated for a training exercise. Mainly
because it combines GPS using, navigating, and searching, three
different skills"

We have an objective for every exercise. That being FORMATION
emphasis, GRID SEARCH emphasis, RADIO PROTOCOL, or GPS use. In this
case, we are combining all necessary skills that would be used in an
actual search. If this was the real thing, our members would have to
be prepared to call upon ALL of their training. The Riddle part keeps
it lighter and makes it more of a game, so the stress level is
reduced.

Just our approach to training....M

On 6/21/06, Una Smith <una.smith@att.net> wrote:

(Hi Chris!)

Chris Pennington wrote:
>I would think that is too broad a statement Una.

Maybe, except that the scenario as given involves navigating
via GPS and solving SAR-oriented riddles, with search in the
middle. In my experience, this kind of scenario can easily
turn into endless undirected search, no development of skill,
and frustrated trainees.