msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Training

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Training
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 17:04:52 -0700

From: "Marie Lester" <marie.lester@gmail.com>
We have an objective for every exercise. That being FORMATION
emphasis, GRID SEARCH emphasis, RADIO PROTOCOL, or GPS use. In this
case, we are combining all necessary skills that would be used in an
actual search. [...]

Having a defined objective for every training exercise is good planning. Testing various skills or equipment use, how well A functions with B, etc., is a recognized strategy. Then review and fix what went wrong. Over time build up to using all the puzzle pieces.

Anyone interested in more "official" training on how to design good training exercises might investigate the FEMA training on http://training.fema.gov/emiweb/IS/crslist.asp . IS 139 Exercise Design provides a valuable basic overview.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar
Tulare-Kings CERT
www.tk-cert.org

Learn about Disaster SAR-related discussion on:
www.tk-cert.org/natlsar/